|Tutors: Jono Burgess and Alex Day|
|Weeks: 1, 2, 3 and 4|
Explore your creativity and have fun experimenting with new methods of drawing, painting, sculpture, land art, mixed media and mural. Planned and delivered by experienced artists and tutors, this course will allow you to react to the local area, play with natural and recycled materials and learn new techniques. You will have the chance to engage audiences with your artistic responses. Both individual projects and collaborative group work will feature in this diverse and immersive experience.
Big Art will look at lots of different forms of creating. You will try drawing, painting, immersive art, land art, sculpture and mural. You will learn about different land artists such as Richard Long, Andy Goldsworthy and Agnes Denes. You will look at how art responds to the environment and how it can highlight issues or ideas.
Learn new techniques and be inspired by using different materials than you are used to. We will use the local environment to share our ideas, to respond to with our pieces and to provide our materials.
You will make large sculptures which play with form on a big scale. These might be inspired by local and international pieces such as the Marlborough White horse or ancient pyramids. You will make smaller pieces on your own and learn how to create sculptures and murals together too.
All materials will be provided for you, please be ready to get messy!
(The following agenda is flexible and includes time for students to take their own ideas forward)
- What is land art?
- Opening up approaches to creating art with different materials
- Mandala workshop mood boards
- Be inspired by other artists to make a small land art.
- Large land art
- Sculpture session focusing on our environment
- Visit to the White horse
- Learn about symbols and experiment with different forms
- Create a large collaborative piece and explore the impact and influence of art
- Land painting and exploring natural materials
- Using natural paints and materials: charcoal, feathers, paint sticks
- Make a collage with found materials
- Weave with string
- Sculpture skills
- Involve messages and concepts in creating pieces
- Explore skills and methods to create work and experiment with a chosen form to create a shared painting
- Develop own and group pieces
- Complete and expand work
- Put pieces together and create a gallery or installation space